Day Two: Getting familiarize with Bangkok and ‘Work and Play’ day
Yiyi (aunt) had to work on Day Two, so it was a ‘Work and Play‘ day for ZH whilst she familiarizes herself with Bangkok.
I needed to get the cleaning of the Airbnb rental unit done, and also to pay utility bills. So, I merged both ‘work and play’ on the same day, for ZH to swim at the infinity swimming pool at Villa Ratchatewi condo.
ZH woke up at 6.30am, even though she slept at 10.45pm the night before. As she has yet to get used to Uncle Vich’s condo, yiyi also follow suit to prepare her breakfast. Just need to cut and peel the fruits we bought the day before.
ZH was tasked to check the route to Villa Ratchatewi, at BTS Phaya Thai station. She checked her Bangkok public transportation map and managed to figure out the way in a jiffy. She found the shorter route out of two possible routes, and also told us the correct interchange station. So impressive our little adventurer!
At MRT station, I wanted to get a Child Card for her, but she’s not qualified as she’s slightly above 120cm (max height for Child Card holder). Child Card holder enjoys 50% discount off adult fare.
I got her a Student Card instead at 230 baht. This includes 150 baht travel value, 50 baht deposit and 30 baht issuing fee. Student Card holder normally enjoy 10% discount off adult fare, but currently a whopping 50% discount due to some sort of promotion.
For BTS, I bought her Single Journey ticket since we do not use BTS as much as MRT. Also found out that children pay the same fare as adults. Why lah like that?
Her one-way fare from MRT Lat Phrao to MRT Chatuchak Park costs 10 baht (after 50% discount) and from BTS Mo Chit to BTS Phaya Thai costs 34 baht.
Inside the trains, I felt that ZH had an unease look. Not sure whether it was due to unfamiliar environment. But on the way back home, she was back to her normal self.
ZH helped with the condo cleaning, and had a light lunch inside the unit. We then went down to the swimming pool for her to swim.
As she had a light lunch, she was hungry quite early. Uncle Vich started cooking dinner for ZH when yiyi and ZH were on our way from home.
After dinner, ZH and yiyi went down for a walk whilst waiting for Facetime with ZH’s family
She managed to sleep well, and dozed off around 8.45pm.
Continuing from Day One, I reflect on the day and take time to marvel at the wonders of ZH:
- She said thanks to yiyi for preparing breakfast for her, and said thanks to Uncle Vich for cooking her dinner.
- She took great care to be quiet in the morning in order not to wake up Uncle Vich.
- She figured out the (shorter) route to BTS Phaya Thai in no time.
- She told me that she’s okay to stand upon hearing that I want to wait for the next train with seats.
- She helped with the condo cleaning at her own initiative.
- She took her time deciding on her snack to be eaten at the swimming pool, and also ate it away from the pool in order not to dirty the water.
- She spent her money prudently.
- She started at the kiddie pool despite being a good swimmer. When I asked her why, she said because yiyi sits close to the kiddie pool side, so there is no supervising adult at at the adult pool. So she chose to swim near where I sit, rather than troubling me to move closer to the adult pool.
- She spotted the English grammatical error at the signage at our condo.