Working in Thailand: Visa, Work Permit, Extension of Stay, Re-entry Permit and 90 Days Reporting

J.R.R. Tolkien — ‘End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. One that we all must take.’ The life story of a working expatriate in the Kingdom. Paperwork and form. Having been through this process 3x so far, hopefully my experience helps to shed some light to the rest.

There are 5 elements altogether, and it can be easy, if the paperwork is in order. In order to work in Thailand, there are 2 important elements: Non-Immigrant B visa and Work Permit. No, it doesn’t end here. There are additional components because the visa is single-entry, and the duration of stay is only valid for 90 days, from the date of entry. Hence, the need for extension of stay and re-entry permit. And 90 Day reporting.

So, I enter Thailand using my non-B visa on 7 Nov 2017 and my visa is valid for 90 days, until 4 Feb 2018. Complication arises when I had to travel abroad for business, and the travel date is before agent can apply for extension stay permit for 1 year. Under new practices of the Immigration Office, foreigners applying for an extension to their 90-day visa will have to provide additional documentation with the application, to submit a copy of their latest monthly payroll withholding tax receipt (PND 1).  Because of this, on 15 Nov 2017, agent applied for multiple re-entry permit, and it’s valid until 4 Feb 2018 only (according to my visa’s expiry date).

Subsequently, on 26 Jan, the agent completed the extension stay permit and multiple re-entry permit. These are valid for 1 year from 28 Jan 2018 until 4 Feb 2019. The date is later than my work permit validity, for 1 year, from 14 Nov 2017 to 13 Nov 2018. 90 days reporting is a funny little thing. In my first company, it never happened due to my frequent travel schedule. This time round, I did travel out of Thailand in Feb; the next 90 days report will be due on 18th May 2018 (to be recounted from 18th February 2018 entry date).

#1: Non-immigrant B visa (at Thai Embassy abroad)

I applied for Non-Immigrant B for Employment visa from Royal Thai Embassy in KL. It seems that it is possible to convert other types of visa to Non-Immigrant B visa in Thailand itself, but the 3 different agents appointed by my current and previous employers told me that it can’t be done.


  1. Visa applications can be made at the Royal Thai Embassy from Mon to Fri, from 09.30am to 11.30am. The visas can be collected on the next working day from 14.30pm to 16.30pm.
  2. RM 300 for single entry visa. Fee is exempted for nationals of Malaysia, Singapore, Republic of Korea and Tunisia. Only single-entry visa is available at the Royal Thai Embassy in KL. Payment in cash, in RM or THB.

Read more about this step here.

#2: Work Permit (at Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour in Thailand)

The Non-immigrant B visa is a prerequisite for Work Permit application.

Read more about this step here.

#3: Re-entry Permit (at Immigration Office)

As mentioned above, single-entry visa accorded means one-entry. Once you depart the Thailand territory, you can’t enter again without obtaining a new visa. Without a re-entry permit, your visa will be voided even with a work permit. Hence, a re-entry permit is necessary for visa holders to travel out of Thailand, without forfeiting their visa.


  1. The re-entry permit follows the expiry date of your visa.
  2. Agent can apply for re-entry permit without applicant, just need a copy of following documents and sign on all pages, except the photo, of course:

Required documents:

  • Completed Form TM.8
  • One recent photograph (size 4×6 cm)
  • Copy of passport, arrival/departure card TM.6 (back and front)
  • Fee for Re-Entry permit: 1,000 Baht for single, 3,800 Baht for multiple

#4: Extension of Stay (at One Stop Center at Chamchuri Square)

The crowd at One Stop Center, 8.30AM

Your non-immigrant B visa is valid for 90 days; to stay beyond the 90 days, you need an “extension of stay.” Good news is the validity of extension is one year. Agent sent runner to queue for number at 5AM, and that assures my application to be process first – mine completed by 9.30AM.


  1. There is a dress code signage, but not enforced
  2. Photocopy service is available inside the One Stop Center
  3. Applicant needs to be presence, as need to sign on the documents
Dress code
Passport expiry date is important
90 days reporting notice

Required documents:

  • Completed Form TM.7
  • One recent photograph (size 4×6 cm)
  • Original work permit
  • Copy of passport, arrival/departure card TM.6 (back and front)
  • Fee for multiple entry permit: 5,000 Baht

One Stop Service Centre for Visas and Work Permits
The One Stop Service Centre for Visas and Work Permits was established on 1 July 1997, to simplify visa extension and permit issuance procedures to create a good investment environment.  It seems that not all foreigners are eligible to use this Centre – read more here.

One-Stop Service Center for Visas and Work Permits At Chamchuri Square Building
Tel. 02-209 1100
Office hour: Mon-Fri 8:30 – 12.00 and 13.00 – 16:30

18th Floor, Chamchuri Square Building, Phayathai Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330. 

Nearest MRT: Sam Yan 

#5: 90 Days reporting

Notification of address every 90 days, for whatever reason. Mine is handled by agent, thank god.

If you have a Non Immigrant Visa and leave the country on a re-entry permit, your 90-day check-in count restarts at ‘Day 1’ when you re-enter Thailand.



Travel opens up a whole new world, which is cliche but true. I am a strong advocate for independent and solo travel. I was born and raised in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia but now live in Bangkok, Thailand, resulted from a chance encounter in 2009 with my why-are-you-Thai bf. I am now split between two countries. One country for my bf, another for the family, for the occasional weekend together.

2 thoughts on “Working in Thailand: Visa, Work Permit, Extension of Stay, Re-entry Permit and 90 Days Reporting

  • May 3, 2018 at 4:29 pm

    Stumbled across your blog while I was googling long-term parking at KLIA2. I spent 3 full years working in Bangkok from ’04-’07. Interesting to see that there has been little change in the immigration procedures for Thailand =)

    Have you registered yourself as a Malaysian living in Thailand at the Malaysian Embassy on Sathorn yet? You will get invites to the open houses where you get to sample “tastes” from home (satay, nasi lemak) during big days bag home (re: Hari Raya).

    Most of my experiences when I was in Thailand is chronicled in my blog. Do drop by and give it a read 😉

    • May 16, 2018 at 11:48 pm


      Sorry for my late reply. Life has been hectic after I started work (again) end of last year.
      Thanks for the tips .. I want free assam laksa! Must go register myself for the free food.

      And will check out your blog too 🙂


Comments are closed.